- This event has passed.
BackStage Music: Singles Club + Alice Chance (Infinity for Dinner)
22 November 2018 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm AEDT$20.00 – $35.00
Tickets: General admission: $35 | Concession: $20
A kind of speed-dating night for independent artists. Singles Club presents new interactions and exchanges between 5 performing/composing/improvising/choreographic artists. Amidst the heavy traffic, hefty rents, tiny apartments and non-existent studio spaces of this big noisy city, Singles Club poses a new performance mode based on a tight economy of scale, space and time which draws on the rich ground of shared interests, mutual loves and artistic co-habitation. Artists going dutch in the creation of new work.
- Bree van Reyk – percussionist/composer performing a new piece by Cor Fuhler and a duet with Marcus Whale.
- Marcus Whale – composer/electro popstar writing and performing a duet with Bree van Reyk.
- Lauren Brincat – visual/performance artist/composer making a new work for Marcus Whale.
- Rhiannon Newton – choreographer/performer creating a simultaneous solo with Bree van Reyk.
- Cor Fuhler – improvised musician/composer creating a new piece for Bree van Reyk and delivering an installation performance for audience.
An installation by Alice Chance for Backstage Music and its audience.
Wishpond is a work in which audience members gather around a unique pond of their own making.They collectively gaze into its depths, feeding the pond life with shimmers and resonance. In a similar fashion to Chance’s Audience Choir, participants with smartphones are asked to take a small mobile questionnaire, leading them to a bespoke element of the pond’s ecosystem, a secret online video made for them.The audience will file into the pond area and gather around for an ephemeral, wish-feeding musical ceremony as their phones evoke an enhanced biological community. Like any pond, it’s surface playfully distorts what may be below.Appearances and noises of pond life are warped and augmented, as we dip further into this glassy, metallic, parallel puddle. But be assured, the wishpond is as real as those who bring it to life.