- This event has passed.
Elysium Ensemble | J.S., C.P.E., & W.F. Bach
20 October 2019 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm AEDT$20 – $35
“Refined and expertly crafted performances of neglected musical gems.”
Following on from Elysium Ensemble’s performances for the Melbourne Baroque Orchestra Gala Concert and their concert in 2019, Greg Dikmans (‘Quantz’ flute) and David Macfarlane present a concert with music close to their hearts that reflects their research interests. At the heart of the hour long program are J.S. Bach’s Sonata in A Major for flute & obligato harpsichord (BWV 1032) and C.P.E. Bach’s Sonata in D major for flute & continuo (Wq 131).
Greg will perform the solo flute sonata (Wq 132), also by C.P.E. Bach, and David will perform the first two of the Six Polonaises that W.F. Bach penned. The second of these is pensive and darkly coloured, whilst the first provides a very interesting comparison with J.S. Bach’s Fantasie (BWV 906) with which the program will start. This Fantasie shows that J.S. Bach was up-to-date with virtuosic keyboard techniques and was able to imbue the technical with his own compositional flair.
- J.S. BACH | Fantasie in C minor for harpsichord (BWV 906)
- J.S. BACH | Sonata in A major for flute & harpsichord (BWV 1032)
- C.P.E. BACH | Sonata in A minor for flute without bass (Wq 132)
- C.P.E. BACH | Sonata in D major for flute & continuo (Wq 131)
- W.F. BACH | Polonaises for harpsichord (F 12: 1 & 2)
- Greg Dikmans – ‘Quantz’ flute
- David Macfarlane – Harpsichord