- This event has passed.
Flinders Quartet: Midsummer Mendelssohn Gala
24 July @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm AEST
William Hennessy once said that all musicians possess a little of the actor within them. FQ takes this one step further, giving Chris Moore the dual role of Puck and violist. (We always knew that if Puck played an instrument, it would be the viola!) Iain Grandage, together with the quartet and Chris, reimagine Mendelssohn’s score with the support of dramaturge, Kirsty Hillhouse, in a concert that will grab the imagination. As a little entrée, Chris will narrate Leunig’s poignant The Curly Pyjama Letters with Calvin Bowman’s accompanying score. Commissioned and premiered by FQ in 2012, its delightful quirkiness has struck a chord with audiences.
Juxtaposing this is the purely romantic, melodic world of Brahms. Described as a man “steeped in force”, Brahms’ G major quintet brings us back to the purity of music with musicianship of the highest order.
- Felix Mendelssohn Arrangement of A Midsummer Night’s Dream incidental music by Iain Grandage, intertwined with text from Shakespeare’s play; Chris Moore (narrator)
- Calvin Bowman The Curly Pyjama Letters; Chris Moore (narrator)
- Johannes Brahms Viola Quintet No. 2 in G major Op. 111; Chris Moore (viola)
- Violins Thibaud Pavlovic-Hobba & Nicholas Waters
- Viola Helen Ireland
- Cello Zoe Knighton
- Guest viola & narrator Chris Moore
Chris Moore’s participation is generously supported by Yvonne von Hartel AM and Robert Peck AM peckvonhartel architects