- This event has passed.
Flinders Quartet with Genevieve Lacey & Hao Zheng | Translations
20 October 2019 @ 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm AEDT
Tickets: Standard $45 | Concession $35
Chinese Er-Hu is brilliantly matched with the European tradition of the string quartet and recorder in Flinders Quartet’s final concert for their 2019 season.
While separated by geography and history, the musical colours of contemporary Chinese sensation, Zhao Zhang and Debussy’s works illustrate the way music is able to unite cultures.
Both quintessentially nationalistic in their own ways, the similarities between the two works on this program are far more striking than their differences.
Translations more than proves the cliché that music is a universal language. This concert places a focus on using the music of the string quartet as a shared language between East and West.mont
- Zhao ZHANG | String Quartet No. 1 ‘Totem’
- Claude DEBUSSY | String Quartet in G minor, Op. 10
- Peter SCULTHORPE | ‘Song for Neilma’ (for recorder and string quartet)
- Gang CHEN arr. Julian Yu | ‘Tashkurgan in the Sunshine’ for Er-Hu and string quartet
- Stuart GREENBAUM | ‘Translations’ for Er-Hu, string quartet and recorder*
*Commissioned by Carrillo Gantner for his wife, Ziyin Wang Gantner