Ku-Ring-Gai Philharmonic Orchestra: NSW Secondary Schools Concerto Competition Finals Concert
29 June @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm AEST
- Early bird prices – Standard $40 | Pensioner $30 | Student/junior $12
- From 29 May – Standard $50 | Pensioner $35 | Student/junior $12
6 individual finalists in the 2019 NSW Secondary Schools Concerto Competition and the winners of the Multiple Concerto section will perform their selected concerto movement with orchestra on Saturday 29 June, competing for prizes and opportunities in this prestigious annual event.
Regarded as a stepping stone to national and international success, the competition has been held annually since 1984 and provides an invaluable performance opportunity for young musicians to showcase their talents as soloists accompanied by orchestra. The list of previous winners reflects the names of many well known personalities in the music world, such as Amy Dickson, Natalie Chee, Grace Clifford and Simon Tedeschi.
The competition is open to secondary school pupils in years 7-12 at schools throughout NSW and the ACT and this year attracted nearly 100 entrants, eager to compete for a coveted position in the Finals Concert and for the prize money of up to $10,000.
The Finalists will perform with Ku-ring-gai Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Paul Terracini. Who will win this year’s competition?
- Phoebe Xu | Haydn – Oboe Concerto in C major
- Yasmin Yoo | Lalo – Cello Concerto in D minor
- Edward Zhang | Saint-Saëns – Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso
- Andrew Wang | Sibelius – Violin Concerto in D minor
- Alicia Poon | Tchaikovsky – Violin Concerto Op. 35
- Sebastien Hibbard | Shostakovich – Cello Concerto No.1 in E flat Major
- Lawrence Wei & Victoria Teo | Vieuxtemps – Duo Brilliante
Hear these talented young musicians give dynamic performances and assert a vibrant future ahead for live classical music performance.