- This event has passed.
Lone Hemispheres I
4 December 2018 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm AEDT$35
Ensemble Offspring showcases the sheer virtuosity of its musicians in an evening of works inspired by the uncompromising power and aural intensity of a true revolutionary.
The music of architect, mathematician and composer Iannis Xenakis, has been described as ‘joyously elemental music which turns collections of pitches and rhythms into a force of nature’ (Tom Service). It’s also fiendishly difficult.
Claire Edwardes (percussion), Veronique Serret (violin) and Zubin Kanga (piano) each present seminal works by Xenakis – Rebonds A/B, Mikka, Mikka S and Evryali – alongside newly commissioned solos by Canadian composer, Nicole Lizée, Berlin-based Australian, Cathy Milliken, and Sydney composer, Michael Smetanin.
- Iannis Xenakis – Rebonds (1989) for percussion 13’
- Iannis Xenakis – Mikka/Mikka S (1971/76) for violin 4’
- Iannis Xenakis – Evryali (1973) for piano 9’5
- Nicole Lizee – Bored End-of-Summer Kids (2018) for percussion (World Premiere) 10’
- Cathy Milliken – New work (2018) for violin solo (World Premiere) 8’
- Michael Smetanin – Four Angels (2018) for piano solo (World Premiere) 8’
- Véronique Serret (violin)
- Claire Edwardes (percussion)
- Zubin Kanga (piano)