- This event has passed.
Newcastle Music Festival 2019 | Festival Choir In Concert
11 August 2019 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm AEST
Tickets: Adult $35 | Concession $25 | Family (2x adults + 2x children) $80
Group bookings discounts of 10% are also available for 10 persons or more
The Festival Choir joins forces to present a varied programme with Mass in G major by Romantic master, Franz Schubert, at its heart. Morten Lauridsen’s sumptuous O Magnum Mysterium perfectly complements this, and the Festival Choir’s contribution is rounded out by Australian composer Michael Leighton Jones’ setting of Atatürk’s haunting poem, Gallipoli. Singers of all ages join together with guest singers to present memorable and moving performances. This year the choir will have the honour of singing with international singer Miriam Allan, who began her career in Newcastle.
- Peter Guy, Musical Director, Festival Choir
For the 2019 Festival a Festival Chamber Choir has been formed. This choir presents Bach’s Cantata BWV 147 Herz und Munt und Tat und Leben. The handpicked group of 20 singers look forward to performing this work with Bach specialist Miriam Allan. The cantata features the well-known chorale known in English as Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring as well as a thrilling opening movement and exciting solos.
- Christopher Allan, Musical Director, Festival Chamber Choir
- Morton LAURIDSEN | O magnum mysterium
- Franz SCHUBERT | Mass in G
- Johann Sebastian BACH | Cantata BWV147, Herz und Mund und und Tat und Leben (including the chorale Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring)
- Michael LEIGHTON JONES | Gallipoli