- This event has passed.
Plexus Collective: Psalmodic
24 June @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm AEST
Tickets: $50 adults | $40 concession
PLEXUS heralds its newly minted choral ensemble, Vox Plexus, as guest artists for a world premiere arrangement of Stravinsky’s epic neoclassical masterpiece Symphony of Psalms, a Russian émigré’s response to the atheism of his motherland. Of the same decade, but from the opposite pole of the Soviet aesthetic sphere are drawn selections from Shostakovich’s lush Suites for Jazz Orchestra, in a world premiere reimagining for PLEXUS. Shostakovich’s onetime pupil Galina Ustvolskaya was later acknowledged by him as a profound influence on his own music, and Ustvolsakaya’s 1949 Trio for violin, clarinet and piano plumbs the depths of the human condition with characteristic prophetic insight. Alongside these Russian treasures are presented two newly commissioned world premieres, by equally compelling Australian composers Leanne Bear and Scott McIntyre.
PLEXUS: Psalmodic is co-presented with Melbourne Recital Centre as part of their 2019 Southbank Series.
- with guest artists Vox Plexus
- Leanne BEAR | new work (world premiere)
- Scott MCINTYRE | new work (world premiere)
- Dmitri SHOSTAKOVICH | from the Jazz Suites (1935-38) (arr. Cassomenos)
- Igor STRAVINSKY | Symphony of Psalms (1930) (arr. Cassomenos)
- Galina USTVOLSKAYA | Trio (1949)