- This event has passed.
The Hourglass Ensemble: Everything I Touch
28 April 2019 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm AEST
Tickets: Adult $30 | Concession $20 | Children under 13 Free
Sydney’s audience-friendly contemporary chamber ensemble, The Hourglass Ensemble, presents Everything I Touch, a concert featuring an unusual and beguiling blend of new commissions and beloved masterpieces.
In line with their mission to play new and recent music alongside familiar late Romantic pieces, the repertoire includes everything from Brahms to Kats-Chenin with four world premieres of new compositions including ‘Everything I Touch – Concerto for flute and chamber orchestra’ by featured composer Margery Smith inspired by the sparse and concise poetry of Kobayashi Issa and Susan Sleepwriter.
Artistic Director of The Hourglass Ensemble Andrew Kennedy is passionate about making the chamber concert less abstract, giving the uninitiated listener an accessible guide to the music.
“During the concert, I will explain the context, meaning, narrative and history of the composition, the difficult parts, the symbolism, and the interesting techniques,” says Kennedy. “We ensure that things the players know implicitly are made explicit to the listener. And, of course, we pick music we love and play with our friends, so the audience really notices how we play with passion, togetherness, and fun.”
- BRAHMS Sonata No. 1 for clarinet and piano
- KATS-CHERNIN Russian Rag for saxophone and string quartet
- SMITH Everything I Touch Concerto for flute and chamber orchestra World premiere
- BALL Clockwork Ghost for bass clarinet, viola, cello and prepared piano
- MULLER Terra Anima for clarinet, viola and vibraphone World premiere
- KENNEDY Serenade for flute, clarinet, saxophone and horn World premiere
- Ewa Kowalski | Flute soloist
- David Banney | Conductor
- Andrew Kennedy | Clarinets & Artistic Director
- Nicholas Russionello | Saxophones
- Tomas Talmacs | Violin
- Julia Russionello | Violin
- Tara Hashambhoy | Viola
- Caroline Hobbs | Cello
- Serena Lim | Double Bass
- Timothy Brigden | Percussion
- Anna Rutkowska-Schock | Piano
- Christopher Perrin | Trumpet
- Rafael Salgado | French Horn