- This event has passed.
City Recital Hall Presents The Sixteen
9 March 2019 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm AEDT
Tickets: Standard $49-$69; Concession $44-$53; City Recital Hall Member $$40-$49; Under 30 $40 (Fees per transaction: phone $8.25, internet $6.60)
The voices of The Sixteen are at home in over five centuries of music, a breadth reflected in their annual Choral Pilgrimage to Britain’s great cathedrals and sacred spaces, regular appearances at the world’s leading concert halls, and award-winning recordings for The Sixteen’s CORO and other labels. Founded in 1979 and conducted by Harry Chirstophers CBE, the group’s pioneering work over the last few decades has made a profound impact on the performance of choral music.
At City Recital Hall The Sixteen will be performing a distinctly British programme spanning over 500 years of choral music. 16th-century composers Tallis and Byrd wrote at times of religious turmoil and national upheaval, producing magnificent works of beauty and musical mastery. Their legacy can be traced to some of Britain’s most celebrated 20th and 21st century composers, including Britten, Tippett and James MacMillan, whose works complete this enlightening programme.
- The Sixteen
- Harry Christophers conductor
- Tallis Tunes for Archbishop Parker’s Psalter (1-4)
- Tallis Salvator mundi
- Morley April is in my mistress’ face
- Gibbons The Silver Swan
- Byrd This sweet and merry month of May
- Sheppard In manus tuas III
- Tippett Five Spirituals from A Child of Our Time
- Tallis O nata lux
- Tallis O sacrum convivium
- Tallis Loquebantur variis linguis
- James MacMillan Mitte manum tuam
- Byrd Laudibus in sanctis
- Britten Gloriana Dances
- Tallis Tunes for Archbishop Parker’s Psalter (5-8)