- This event has passed.
The Song Company | Mind Over Matter
31 August 2019 @ 7:30 pm - 8:45 pm AEST
Tickets for this event are not currently available for purchase.
A cartoonesque prequel to Anna’s Rapid Eye Movement (premiered by The Song Company in Sydney Opera House), Mind Over Matter is a family-friendly musical / chamber comic opera for 5 singers, speaking piano duet and computer operator, by the Company’s Artistic Director, Antony Pitts, with theatrical direction by Leonie Cambage. The story is set (not far) in the future: the world has been taken over by a giant computer corporation called BABEL, run by a man known simply as “the Boss”, and, as usual, someone is trying to hack into its central server. BABEL’s corporate headquarters has 127 floors and just two lifts (with personalities of their own). There is a Guard who rarely ventures off the ground floor, two suspicious-sounding characters called Rime and Reezon, two identical briefcases, an executive called Mabel all-too-open to the algorithmic power of Artificial Intelligence, and Anna herself – dizzy at the apex of an impossible love triangle. What else could possibly go wrong? The music is inspired by the melodic pop of the 1980s and the program begins and ends with arrangements of some classic hits from Joe Jackson’s Steppin’ Out to Wang Chung’s Dance Hall Days.
- Joe Jackson | Steppin’ Out
- a-ha | Take On Me
- Tears For Fears | Mad World
- Kate Bush | Running Up That Hill
- Sally Whitwell | Loopy Lady 1. Reels
- Antony Pitts | Mind Over Matter Act I
- Men Without Hats | Safety Dance
- Antony Pitts | Mind Over Matter Act II
- Wang Chung | Dance Hall Days
- Anna Sandström – Anna
- Pip Dracakis – Mabel
- Maximilian Riebl – Professor Karl Rime
- Ethan Taylor – Doctor Phil T. Reezon
- Nathan Lay – The Guard
- Sally Whitwell – Piano/Lift A
- Antony Pitts – Piano/Lift B
- Leslie Bell – Choreographer
- Isabel Hudson – Set & Costume Designer
- Leonie Cambage – Director