- This event has passed.
Willoughby Symphony | USA themed GALA
15 February 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm AEDT
One event on 16 February 2020 at 2:00 pm
Don’t wait for the fourth of July! Start the year with a bang with Chief Conductor and Artistic Director Dr Nicholas Milton AM and brilliant soloists from Pacific Opera in the Willoughby Symphony Orchestra’s thrilling GALA, kicking off the 2020 season with a celebration of music from the USA.
Internationally renowned, Dr Nicholas Milton was the first Australian conductor to be nominated for a Grammy award, making him superbly qualified to take you on this unique musical excursion.
- Nothing shouts USA like the sound of John Philip Sousa – dubbed ‘the March King’ – whose rousing tunes will give the Willoughby Symphony Orchestra brass section a workout and have the audience marching in the aisles.
- Experience the glittering wit of Leonard Bernstein in selections from his effervescent Candide, before music from West Side Story plunges you into the action, romance, tragedy – and hot-blooded Latin rhythms – of one of the greatest musicals ever written.
- Pacific Opera alumni Sophie Salvenasi, who starred as Maria in the recent Opera Australia production of West Side Story, returns to The Concourse to reprieve her role, performing A Boy Like That.
- The Bernstein bonanza continues with the irreverent Slava! A Political Overture for Orchestra written for the inaugural concerts of Mstislav Rostropovich’s first season with the US National Symphony Orchestra.
- The concert will also feature the magnificent Willoughby Symphony Choir under the direction of Chorus Master Peter Ellis performing the Gospel Down to River to Pray.