Starting at: 7:30 PM
Venue: Edge Theatre, Federation Square (Federation Square, Melbourne, VIC, 3000)
The night is full of light—the twinkle of a carpet of stars, shards of moonlight piercing the forest canopy, romance kindled by the embers of a fire—but outshining them all, a song from the heart.
Following on from her acclaimed MCO directing début in 2015 with The Gypsy Palace, Rebecca Chan returns with a sonorous and lush nocturnal vision, including Wagner’s passionate Prelude from Tristan und Isolde and Schoenberg’s twilit confession for strings, Verklärte Nacht.
Tenor Andrew Goodwin’s career has hit the stratosphere, singing major roles at opera houses across Europe to enormous acclaim. He sings haunting night-themed lieder reimagined in sumptuous new string orchestra arrangements, including Schoenberg’s Waldesnacht and Schubert’s Der Erlkönig.
PRAISE FOR ANDREW GOODWIN:
“one of those performances that lives in the memory for days”
— Sydney Morning Herald
- WAGNER arr GÜRTLER – Prelude from Tristan und Isolde (arr string orchestra)
- STRAUSS – Die Nacht*
- SCHOENBERG – Waldesnacht*
- SCHOENBERG – Verklärte Nacht*
- BARTOK – String Quartet No 4: II Prestissimo
- MENDELSSOHN – A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Scherzo*
- SKIPWORTH – New Work
- SCHUBERT – Nacht und Träume D827*
- SCHUBERT – Winterreise D911: Gute Nacht*
- SCHUBERT – Nachtstück D672*
- SCHUBERT – Der Erlkönig D328*
*arr string orchestra by Rebecca Chan
World première season. Commission Supported by the Robert Salzer Foundation
- Andrew Goodwin TENOR
- Rebecca Chan DIRECTOR
Add to your calendar
While classikON strives for accuracy in the information we provide, we accept no responsibility for inaccuracies. If you see an error or omission, please let us know and check details before attending a concert.
If you have any questions, just contact us.