Starting at: 7:30 PM
Venue: Melbourne Recital Centre, Elisabeth Murdoch Hall (31 Sturt Street, Southbank, VIC, 3000)
Single Tickets: Adult $75/$95 | Concession $65 | Student $30 | Group 10+ $67.50
Subscription Tickets: 3 Concerts Premium $256.50 | 3 Concerts A Reserve Adult $202.50 | Concession $175.50
Italy and the Art of Love – Beethoven’s Romance for Violin and Mendelssohn’s beloved ‘Italian’ Symphony.
Catch the new wave of historically informed performers as they bring a revitalised spirit and energy to Beethoven and Mendelssohn’s masterpieces, conducted by our brilliant Principal Guest Conductor Benjamin Bayl.
From the opening riveting chords of the Coriolan Overture to the sublime Romance for violin, performed by concertmaster Rachael Beesley, and the playful Contredanses, Beethoven will have you swooning in your seats and dancing for joy in the aisles. After the interval we highlight the gorgeous sound of a full string orchestra playing on pure gut strings, where you’ll fall in love with Wolf’s Italian Serenade for Strings and be thrilled by Mendelssohn’s passion for Italy in his most lively symphony.
- Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) – Coriolan Overture in C minor Op.62 (1807)
- Ludwig van Beethoven – Romance for Violin and Orchestra No. 2 in F major Op. 50 (1798)
- Ludwig van Beethoven – Twelve Contredanses for Orchestra WoO14 (1792-1802)
- Hugo Wolf (1860-1903) – Italian Serenade in G major for Strings (1887, strings version 1892)
- Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) – ‘Italian’ Symphony in A major Op.90 (1833)
- Benjamin Bayl – principal guest conductor
- Rachael Beesley – director & violin soloist
Add to your calendar
While classikON strives for accuracy in the information we provide, we accept no responsibility for inaccuracies. If you see an error or omission, please let us know and check details before attending a concert.
If you have any questions, just contact us.