In 1911: Mahler, already ill, preformed his last concert in 40°C (104°F) at Carnegie Hall, barely making it through the concert.
The New York Philharmonic has an excellent search of their history, which unfortunately doesn’t have permalinks, so below is the program of his final concert.
1910-11 New York Philharmonic / Subscription Season
Tue Feb 21, 1911 at 8:15pm. Subscription Season Manhattan NY Carnegie Hall. Concert #604.
Artists Performing on this Program
- Conductor: Gustav Mahler
- Soloist: Ernesto Consolo (Piano)
Works on this Program (Composer / Title)
- Sinigaglia / Le baruffe chiozzotte, Op. 32
- Mendelssohn / Symphony No. 4 in A major, Op. 90, Italian
- Martucci / Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat minor, Op. 66
- Busoni / Berceuse élégiaque, Op. 42
- Bossi / Intermezzi Goldoniani, Op. 127
|Do you have a classical music event for today’s On this day? Send it to us: