Theme & Variations were host to a fabulous event last night. Celebrating five Steinway concert grand pianos here for the Sydney International Piano Competition starting on July 17th 2012. It was wonderful to experience these magnificent pianos up close and to be able to hear the differences between them.
Five composers from The Sydney Conservatorium of Music were selected to have their 5 minute works, created in just 3 weeks, performed last night. After hearing 3 works for all 5 pianos, the audience voted out 3 pianos. Then we heard a duo and voted out 1 piano. Finally a solo. Ara Vartoukian, gave an insight to what he listens for in a piano and the different requirements depending on where they’re played. This gave the audience some pointers as to what to listen out for when listening to works.
- Simon Ghraichy
- Gabriella Pusner
- Evgeny Ukhanov
- Zoe Gallagher-Avery (in the photo)
- Vatche Jambazian (playing at Theme & Variations on Sunday 24th with Orava Quartet)
- David Kemp – Piano Derby
- Virginia Botha – Origination Five
- Milo Carter – Dispute for 5 Pianos
- Anne Qiang Wang – Mercurial Dance
- Joseph Power – Intergalactic Filth Wizard